The ending felt somber in the realization that, there is really nothing we can do to save this planet. We’re living on borrowed time. The best we can do is help the next apex species realize the mistakes we’ve made so that they don’t repeat them. But maybe I’m just over here dooming. What are your thoughts?

• aleph@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 days ago

I haven’t finished it yet, but so far the fatalism seems to be balanced by the reminder that we are intrinsically linked to the natural world, and that it is never too late to seek solace in it.

• blindbunny@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

That’s definitely the over arching theme. Idk individuals maybe communes could seek solace in it but the other thing that’s presented is being a labeled a terrorist against the state if you fight for humanity…

• aleph@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

Sure, because our current economic system creates governments and laws that protect private capital and short-term exploitation at the expense of the natural world.

I do see hope in the book, though. Once you look beyond the human scale, it shows us that trees are always going to outlast us, no matter how hard we try to destroy our environment. The question is - can we learn from their patience and adaptability before we screw ourselves beyond the point of no return?

• blindbunny@lemmy.mlOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          19 days ago

Thanks for that perspective. I truly hope we learn but I don’t have much hope. I think I firmly in Watchman’s camp.

I do dearly love that the trees will outlast us 🙂🌲

• JSocial@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

I am actually getting ready to read it again. It’s been a year, so I only really remember that I enjoyed it. I’ll add a comment once I’ve completed it.

• blindbunny@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

I enjoyed it as well. I started to really enjoy it after everyone gets tree names 🙂

• bubbalu [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 days ago

I think Richard Powers is a sex weirdo who comes up with elaborate novel structures to contain his tulpa gf’s in. I was really put off by the woman in the last short story who goes from bimbo to sexy ghost. That felt prototypical for how he sees women. He also admits to stalking and creeping on one of his grad students in his autofiction Galatea 2.2. The short stories were beautiful but the novel itself felt poorly executed with a lot of cut plot threads.

• blindbunny@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

This is my first book of his. Is a Maidenhair like characters in all of his books?

Yeah that might be a little too weird for me.

• blindbunny@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

Honestly I’m more of a cyberpunk escapist reader. But this book kinda feels like it may have changed that for me.

• drhoopoe@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 days ago

If you think that book is somber then you should read his Bewilderment. Totally fucking crushing from beginning to end.

• blindbunny@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

Why does Mr. Powers want to hurt us 😭

I’m gonna read Catch 22 again it’s been a decade so I’ve forgot about most of it. I just remembered it being fun.