• Severed_Fate@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

ITT people being surprised that not everyone wants to see a whole political discussion in a meme community

Take that discussion to a more appropriate community if that truly means so much to you

• amio@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

This is it. There are dozens and dozens of communities already dealing with explicitly political humor - tons of easy-to-find places where that is the topic, so why would any good-faith actor insist on totally-not-obviously-at-all forcing political content everywhere else?

• Stroopwafel1@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Yup, have been trying to enjoy lemmy since the reddit migration. For the most part its fine. But way too many politics in each comment sections and posts; filled with commies, libtards and all other magical beings of the political rainbow.

• Roundcat@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

The purpose of many memes is to make your pov seem more relatable. Even OP’s meme is an example of this. Then you have the comment section, which serves to reinforce relatability of the meme, and then the upvotes which are a digital “amem” or “yeah”.

So in a way, memes on redditlike sites are more or less a propaganda machine with a feedback system built in. Want to push a political pov with little effort, and an automatic way of gauging popularity while showing users “See! I’m not the only one!” Post a meme with a political message tied to it.

Also, a lot of people seem to call anything they don’t agree with “political” as well, so sometimes a harmless meme about being gay gets grouped with a meme about eating the rich.

The point is as long as people have different point of view, memes pages are always going to seem political. Combine that with the fact that lemmy.ml tends to be more leftist than reddit politically, it might come to a shock to a lot of libertarian mind refugees who are used to their humor being accepted, or leftists who are shocked by the kind of content they’re seeing on their front page.

There are several different memes spaces on the fediverse. The only real solution I can give is to block the ones that don’t meet your standards, and build up the ones that do. Considering the different natures of each instance, I’m surprised each one doesn’t have its own active meme page.

• proper@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

ITT people finding it more and more difficult to bury their heads in the sand

• Ghyste@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I’d settle for memes in the meme community instead of a pile of garbage supported by a bunch of apologists and mindless upvotes.

And as I have to post every time, any of the apologists who want to once again provide me with the dictionary definition of a meme can go fornicate themselves with a fireplace poker. That is not nor has ever been the definition of an Internet meme, and you damn well know it.

• guajojo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

At least if they were "funny"political memes, but no, the bunch of trolls that are posting here don’t even try