• potpie@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve been getting into primitive technology lately. It all started when I looked at my back yard and thought hey, if we call it red clay, then I should be able to make it into pottery. I take dirt from my yard, levigate it, add grog and wedge, hand-build pots, and fire them in my fire pit. Been making sharpening stones from river rocks. Crafting replicas of Roman machines. That sort of thing.

• meyotch@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That is an epic niche. Primitive skills are awesome. Have you ever read The Toaster Project? It’s a story about the attempt to build a ‘simple’ modern appliance starting with raw materials and only using primitive methods. Very insightful look into how complex our built environment really is.

• Alien Nathan Edward@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

you’d be shocked at how easy it is to grow most edible mushrooms. all you need to grow oysters is a syringe full of spores and some uncle bens pre-cooked vacuum sealed rice. If you want to do lion’s mane or other more complex growing cycles like that, just add a rubbermade tub half full of vermiculite and coconut coir. You can be in this hobby for like $100 up front and then like $30/batch. And yes you can grow those mushrooms, where legal of course. I haven’t tried it but it seems to be no more difficult than the ones I’ve successfully grown, and the rice trick actually comes from that community (google “uncle ben tek” for more info)

• Mugmoor@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I build guitar pedals! I don’t design them, but I order the PCBs and solder the components myself. It’s significantly cheaper than buying them premade, and how many people can say they made their own pedalboard?

I’m also an amateur Fossil Hunter. The area I live in is filled with fossils from the Ordovincian.

• circuitfarmer@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Some of mine maybe aren’t that niche anymore, but:

• Retro computing: no one needs more than 640k. Maybe no one needs more than 64k. Those old systems were the last time a single programmer could have control over the entire machine at a low level.

• Ham radio: Oftentimes called a dying hobby, but a great foray into electronics in general, and also a pretty nice community (save for a few curmudgeons).

• Analog audio: often thought of as a boutique thing, but really isn’t. Lots of old equipment ready to be restored that can give you really unique auditory experiences.

• Plastic modeling: especially if you start from a kit but add things to it, or if you build from scratch, or hell, even if you just build a kit as intended, there is a huge amount of personal expression and creativity.

• OCATMBBL@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m a semi-secretive LARPer. I pack my stuff at night, don’t talk to my coworkers about it, and just go about my life as if I don’t.

I’ve found people are pretty judgy about it, so I just don’t mention that I enjoy getting into a neat costume, playing some little mini-games, having a drink or six, camping, and (most importantly) seeing my friends once a month in a structured activity.

It’s fun stuff if you find the right group. That last part is hard.

• Widowmaker@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Honestly, I don’t know why people rip on other people’s hobbies just because it’s something they wouldn’t do. As if their opinion has any bearing on other people’s happiness. I’m glad you’ve found something that makes you happy and gets you out of the house.

• OCATMBBL@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Seriously, you’d think people could just be happy for someone’s happiness, instead of being miserable. I’m over those feelings. You don’t have to like the same stuff to get along.

Primary motto: Do your best not to hurt anyone, but otherwise do what you want. Enjoy life while you have it.

Secondary motto: Enjoy seeing other people’s happiness. Sometimes giving up something (small) you want for someone else to have something they really want (or even need) feels even better.

Have fun, and do good. Thanks for your kind words 😊

• OCATMBBL@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Big ol’ post below:

Every LARP has a different system, which in our game is light-touch(1) and kinda light-hearted. We use latex weapons like those from Forgotten Dreams and Mytholon (two manufacturers I know of off hand), and there’s a hit point system, and vocally called damage and skills with different effects.

Example: Hitting an opponent and calling “Strength 5” indicates to the opponent that they need to take 5 steps away from the attacker in the direction the attacker chooses. They also take basic weapon damage of 1 HP in this transaction.

While every LARP has its own system, there is a lot of overlap because of the limitations presented by a physical (ie. in-person) system. You can do a way larger swath of things in a tabletop.

Look for LARPs in your area online, and I’m sure you’ll find a few.

(1)Different games handle it differently, but we have players stemming from single digits to upper double digits, and we try to be accommodating to the needs of a diverse age group with varying degrees of disability.

• Michael Kovacs@mastodon.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Coffee brewing! It’s not super niche (a lot of people enjoy coffee), but I’d love to get to the point where I could host free coffee for friends and be able to make just about anything one could ask for and make it well. It’d be nice to share it back just out of the love of doing it.

• Michael Kovacs@mastodon.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Right now I’ve mastered the pour over and the cold brew, but I’ve been recently figuring out how to dive into the espresso machines. That’s been the main set back to opening up the free friends coffee shop out of my apartment lol, don’t know the right one to get and all of that.

• raresbears@iusearchlinux.fyi
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m pretty into conlanging, which is basically making up languages. There are tons of different approaches and ways people can go about it, but like probably most (or at least a plurality of) other conlangers, I generally go for something as naturalistic as possible. I’m also into linguistics so it serves as kind of an interesting way to explore different features and grasp them better, as well as just an excuse to do more research to find out more about something.

• Suzie@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I collect plushies/stuffed animals (to the point where I’m running out of room for more) and I’ve played Tabletop RPG games like Pathfinder, Shadowrun and GURPS for a good few years.

• bipmi@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If I may ask, how does GURPS compare to pathfinder and other RPGs? I played a bit of pf1e, Im currently in some pf2e campaigns that have been going on a few years now, and I never played GURPS but I did read some GURPS reviews and GURPS material. It seems interesting but Im not sure how to go about pitching it to my goons

• Suzie@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

GURPS I find is hard to pitch to people because it’s very, very reading-heavy and has characters that take a while to build if you’re still learning the ins-n’-outs of the game. Building a character in GURPS can take multiple days for me personally, but I am a slow character generator overall regardless of the system.

GURPS also lacks character classes or jobs like PF unless you kinda “build” them yourself, by picking and choosing what you want from generic rules the game provides and describes to you. It might be offputting if your group has the kind of players who would just like to stick to their class’ core abilities/playstyle or follow a more linear pre-built progression path.

I’d say the thing I like most about GURPS as a system is probably also it’s biggest downside, which is the sheer amount of content you could choose from to apply to your game or your character. It’s easy to get option paralysis with it all.

There’s a book for practically every setting, species, trope, ect you could think of. There’s not a single character idea I’ve had that I couldn’t build mechanically, but that also comes at the caveat of reading game material for multiple hours at a time to find every fitting trait or rule I could for these concepts to work. That process often involved hopping from rulebook to rulebook.

I’m sure if you searched around on some TTRPG forums you could find people discussing their pros and cons of the system too, probably much better articulated than in my reply here lol. I hope my answer still helps a bit.

• Meow.tar.gz@lemmy.goblackcat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My niche hobby is self-hosting and running my own home computer lab. It’s tons of fun. The only thing I miss about reddit is the community of self-hosters and home labbers.

• lordnikon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Looking for and archiving recordings of old and modern announcements in commercial and industrial settings. Like mind the gap on trains or there has been a broadcast tower failure in your area or Pan Am boarding call welcome and instructions. these can be on reel to reel or 8 track tape.

• roux is a lib@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I build custom mechanical keyboards. Got into it because of the Pandemic and now I have built 6 of them. /r/mk and /r/emk used to be some of my most visited subs on the other site. I’m now known as the goto for keyboard questions in my circles of friends.

I started getting into fidgeting more lately and took a liking to magnetic sliders and now have a few that I pretty much always have with me.

And that extended into me learning about begleri beads somehow so now I am attempting to learn that. I can do slips and 2 finger wraps and occasiaonal one finger or thumb wraps but not much else yet. I accidentally learned a stall because I messed up. I need to really learn transfers since that is one of the main things you do a lot of.

I think I am also amongst the hyperfixator group in this thread. I was previously into speedsolving Rubik’s cubes and roasting coffee so I feel a lot of these answers lol.

• interolivary@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I’ve been on a hiatus due to some medical stuff making it hard for me to concentrate, but I’m a lock nerd. I collect cool locks (“cool” being very subjective here 😅) and pick / manipulate them.

edit: here’s a tiny part of my collection. I’d upload more but I’m having a hard time with the mobile site and image uploads