• Briongloid@aussie.zoneOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think 1 Million in the first month since the start of the blackout would be headline news, but I’m not sure if we’d have the server capacity for it yet.

• Dracocide@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Does anyone really have the capacity? I’m glad I got here before instances started restricting like Mastodon did.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s very manageable if Lemmy UI is improved to make it easier to have more smaller nodes, rather than big instances.

So long as discovery of communities is easier across instances, it won’t matter if you are in a mini instance of say 100, which is extremely light on demand.

You can self-host on a Raspberry Pi, it’s just that people naturally gravitate to large instances were they trust their account won’t disappear as easily.

If we could also choose to host community indexers that all instances can access, separately from our instance, it would become easier to join a small instance that doesn’t have its own community.

• eee@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’d personally love that, but I don’t think we would hit 1M that easily.

If i had to predict, I’d say that we’ll see slow growth over the next week or so, a big jump again once third party apps officially die, and then slow growth again.

• AirlockDoc@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

The confusion a new user has of which instance to join is causing an overload on some servers. Glad I took the time to understand how things work before I signed up.

But now, there are a few 800 pound gorillas in the room. Hope it smoothes over.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

An independent indexer for the Lemmy/Kbin is very needed, even if all instances get to opt-in.

It would be great if we could see all communities/magazines directly from within our instance, it would likely require more computing than an average Lemmy node so cost would be an issue.

In the meantime we will likely see a third-party website provide indexing, possibly the join lemmy page will just add communities.

• redballooon@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m two of them. For some reason after two days I couldn’t login to Lemmy.world anymore.