First, the uncontroversial: It leads to join-lemmy.org and some people might think that would mean donating to this instance. It should probably go to an on-instance page explaining different options to donate

Then, the can of worms: join-lemmy.org, AFAIK, is associated with lemmy.ml / lemmygrad.ml and, bluntly said, with those people being the tankies they are noone here can be quite sure that donations won’t end up supporting a genocide, end up in Kim Jong Un’s pockets, or suchlike.

Beehaw already removed it from their html (a bit hackish, but it’s the thought that counts)

• EinfachUnersetzlich@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I agree that the link shouldn’t point to a different site (unless that’s the explicit choice of the admins), but not the reasoning - it’s impossible to really have assurance that donations to anything will be used for the purpose you want. How do you know that donations to Beehaw wouldn’t be used to purchase artillery, for example?

• barsoap@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I can’t know, but I can presume innocence. That’s not possible for people who openly support genocides.

Also, artillery isn’t bad as such. Speaking of: Those same tankies are also parotting the “Zelensky is a Nazi” line and are generally in favour of Russia’s invasion. I don’t mind weapons ending up in Ukraine as long as they’re in the hands of actual Ukrainians.