• HSL@wayfarershaven.eu
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Please stop discussing upvotes and downvotes. Your last three comments have included references and it’s repetitive. If it bothers you, why not join an instance that doesn’t use downvotes?

• jeffw@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

This person is stalking me across all my posts. Idk what to do other than bitch about it. Everything, no matter how innocuous, got to -5 within minutes. Your comment isn’t really helping. Someone is literally being a creep and stalking me and all you have to offer is “maybe you should leave”? Thanks, victim blaming is always so helpful.

• HSL@wayfarershaven.eu
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Dude. Karma isn’t a big deal on Lemmy. If you don’t like downvotes, use an instance that doesn’t use them. This community is for discussing questions, not using Lemmy. Next comment about this will be a community ban.

• jeffw@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Sorry, didn’t mean to break any rules. It just hurts that any helpful reply I give on a thread is immediately buried. I will not mention it again. This is not sarcasm, but I know it might sound that way-Thanks for all your time spent helping to grow Lemmy

• BrooklynMan@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

curious as to why you left all the trolly comments and removed the comments from the person being trolled?

edit: they clearly are seasoning:

Sealioning refers to the disingenuous action by a commenter of making an ostensible effort to engage in sincere and serious civil debate, usually by asking persistent questions of the other commenter. These questions are phrased in a way that may come off as an effort to learn and engage with the subject at hand, but are really intended to erode the goodwill of the person to whom they are replying, to get them to appear impatient or to lash out, and therefore come off as unreasonable.

as a mod, if you’re looking to foster communities for open discussion rather than a place that will become toxic, punishing people for being targets of trolls while leaving trolls alone isn’t the way to go.

• jeffw@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t get how I did anything close to sealioning lol. I made a point with sources and asked for an explanation as to why someone disagreed with me

• HSL@wayfarershaven.eu
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I read through the thread a few times and while at first glance, it looked like one person was trolling, my conclusion in the end was that it was actually the other person. That’s why I deleted those posts.

I seriously considered removing the entire thread but my thought was that it would remove transparency. I’m not always going to get this right but I’ll do my best and listen to the follow-up comments.

• BrooklynMan@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

i read through it, too. it’s pretty textbook sealiong, and I don’t see how you don’t see that. as for transparency, that’s what the modlog is for.

if your stance is to punish the victim, I’ll know to see clear of this community myself. since fostering a toxic atmosphere is your goal, this isn’t a community I want to be a part of

• HSL@wayfarershaven.eu
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

I’m confused as to how we got from “I reviewed the whole thread and tried to make a fair call that protects the users in the community” to “if your stance is to punish the victim and foster a toxic atmosphere”. I’m here to help, so please take me at face value.