I was looking through the megathread and saw this real-debrid thing. I have heard this name some times so I read what it does but wasn’t able to understand it. If someone could explain it to me I would appreciate it.

Also, it caught my attention that “it’s a good way to prevent your IP from ever hitting the torrent’s swarm, which is the main cause of receiving copyright infringement letters”. Does this mean it’s an alternative to a VPN when torrenting? Is it like a seedboxes or something? Are there any free alternatives?

• fraydabson@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

The GitHub explains it great but in summary you mount your Real Debrid (or other Debrid service) account to your machine via rclone, so anything you’ve downloaded on Debrid is available on plex.

Then there’s a script that watches the plex watchlist for new requests and then scrapes torrents to get it. (similar to stremio): If it’s cached (already available on real Debrid) then you can watch it instantly. Which is majority popular content. More niche stuff it may have to request Debrid to download and try again later

Then refreshes plex to scan the library for the download.

Even works outside of plex with things like overseerr, jellyseerr, trakt to monitor requests. Also can use Trakt to manage your library. Even Support for other scrapers like jackett and torrentio and you can set it to refresh your jellyfin library if you aren’t using plex.

• CCatMan@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

As a nob, the setup steps look do able, but I think I need to get jellyseerr first and then this.

I may need to run my server on a PC to get VPN connection… Hmm… Thanks👍