Hi guys, first of all, I fully support Piracy. But Im writing a piece on my blog about what I might considere as “Ethical Piracy” and I would like to hear your concepts of it.

Basically my line is if I have the capacity of paying for something and is more convinient that pirating, ill pay. It happens to me a lot when I wanna watch a movie with my boyfriend. I like original audio, but he likes dub, so instead of scrapping through the web looking for a dub, I just select the language on the streaming platform. That is convinient to me.

In what situations do you think is not OK to pirate something? And where is 100 justified and everybody should sail the seas instead?

I would like to hear you.

• hoodatninja@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

You are kind of changing the parameters here. We are not talking about a copy he physically made. We are talking about how in most cases someone handing you a physical book will have bought it. Maybe they stole it, but at that point the entire starting point is a crime and I think we all agree stealing a book from a bookstore or library is not ok, so we should throw that out because it ruins the entire exercise.

So assuming they bought the book, if they hand it to you, they have now deprived themselves of the thing they bought. They bought it and gave it to you. It’s just a gift at that point.

That is why it is not all that comparable to online piracy. That distinction is incredibly important.