• Ada@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I woke to discover this, and immediately defederated it. I don’t need that transphobia factory in our timelines

• codepengu1n@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Ok but not everything revolves around trans people’s issues. Can we be glad for a positive development for once, or will we remove everything that does not 100% agree with our view of the world from the fediverse?

• krimsonbun@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Defederating isn’t irrational, it’s not a matter of personal beliefs it’s a matter of actual people’s lives and being allowed to express themselves. Going against that is inhumane and anyone that does it should be held accountable for their actions. Despite that, mainstream attention direcred towards the fediverse is a positive advancement.

• shagie@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Aside from the symbolic action (that can only be seen by looking for what isn’t there), what does this accomplish? (And yes, I do note that the symbolic action is important in of itself).

Alternatively, if I wanted to follow @georgetakei@universeodon.com in Lemmy (universeodon is a Mastodon instance), how can I get him in my timeline?

As far as I can tell, removing a mastodon instance (in this case social.bbc) from from linked instances in Lemmy has absolutely no impact on what someone will see in subscribed, local, or federated timelines.

• Ada@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I admin a lemmy instance and a regular fediverse instance, both of which are focused towards the queer and gender diverse communities. Blocking transphobia from the feeds of trans folk isn’t symbolic, even though it’s less relevant on lemmy