• reversebananimals@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

If your political opinion begins with “why don’t we just…” then its a bad political opinion.

If we could just, we would have already just. If you think you’re the only one with the capacity to see a simple answer - newsflash, you’re not a political genius. Its you who doesn’t understand the complexity of the problem.

• boogetyboo@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

My partner lacked political engagement until his 30s for reasons so he occasionally has these hot takes. But he expresses them to me and I do feel bad because he’s not coming at it from an arrogant perspective. It’s ignorance, some naivete and also exasperation at a whole lot of shit things.

I have to gently explain to him why XYZ isn’t that simple or black and white, or why his idea doesn’t work - and the answer to that, 9 times out of 10, is ‘because money/rich people/greed/lobbyists/nimbyism’.

I’m just slowly chipping away at his innocence and it feels bad.

• reversebananimals@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

Its great that you’re helping to inform him! I have found the people who know the most about politics and global issues tend to talk less and listen more.

• boogetyboo@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

My responses to him are always prefaced with a big sigh. Because whatever I’m about to tell him is negative. And he often concludes with ‘so how can you care about this/why do you give a shit if it’s pointless’ and I’m finding it harder and harder to answer that question.

Ignorance truly is bliss

• dustycups@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Adam Savage had a bit where he pointed out there is practically zero times when to you should start a sentence with “why don’t you just”. My first instinct is to patiently listen & respond but I’m slowly turning into “why don’t you just stop, think & rephrase that”