After being helped several times with my various community issues by our kind site-runner, I would like to make a useful donation at this time. Oy, but there seems to be a problem:

Now, I use an add-on in Chrome called “uMatrix,” which is a script-blocker. This add-on forces me to hand-enable whatever necessary java-scripts there might be on sites, but it’s not perfect. Okay, fine, so in Ko-fi’s case, I wound up having to turn the tool completely OFF in order to get to the final payment-step, for anyone reading who had issues with such.

Now, to the final step:
My donation / pay options are evidently these: iDEAL, Bancontact, Przelewy24 and EPS.

New problem: I have utterly no idea what those are.
Is there a way then to donate via PayPal, perhaps?

EDIT: Sorry, I guess this should have gone in “Support.” Please do move as necessary.

• EllaSpiggins@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 days ago

Hey Johnny!

I really appreciate your desire to help support this instance- seriously, it means a lot. Erring on the side of caution is reasonable and I don’t blame you.

I’ll be honest, I don’t have an immediate answer for privacy conscious payment methods for US users, but give me 2-3 days and I will find out what method works best for you. Again, it’s awesome you posted this so we can figure it out not just for you but for other privacy focused users based in the US.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Thanks, Ella!

Yes I agree, some privacy payment info would probably help folks like me in future. I don’t have much experience (nor confidence) in this area and could frankly use a slight bit of hand-holding, haha.

• ramble81@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

Those are all payment processors generally in Europe (Eastern Europe) which are most likely the easiest that tie to their bank. Trying to use PayPal with foreign (to the US) bank accounts can be much harder to set up.

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Thank you.
      I’m indeed living in the USA at this time.

In which case, do you have any thoughts about how I might make a donation to this instance? TBH I’m a bit scared about giving out my credit / debit card info, so I tend to err on the side of extreme caution.

Just set up an acct with one of those four agencies, I imagine?

• ramble81@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

So I just checked from my phone and Ko-fi supports straight credit card and Apple Pay. The latter would be the most secure since it uses a token per transaction, but CC would be fine too if you can get a virtual card number. Do you see either of those options?

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.eeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

I’ll try again tomorrow. I’m having some trouble here today.

I also missed the part about using Github, and of course I don’t know what my options are for that either.

So for virtual CC, I’ll try setting that up with my bank, altho it might be a little bit of a long-shot. As an alternative, would you recommend something like… “Privacy.com” I seem to recall?

• ramble81@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

You might be able to do that. If you’re erring on the side of caution, you might want to see if you can generate a virtual card number with your credit card provider so that you don’t give your actual number. Also, for the love of all things, do not tie your main debit card to it. If something happens, they can clean you out and you have much less recourse than with a credit card. Just note that credit cards may charge a cash advance fee on top of it. Depends on the sliding scale of risk vs extra cost.