Linux Myths

A compilation of linux myths and misconceptions, busted and explained

Purpose

To catalog and provide useful responses to common linux misconceptions and myths. To serve as a useful reference for new and old users alike.

I’m not affiliated with the website or its creator(s).

• technocat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Myth: That this year, the year 2024, is indeed and finally the year of the Linux desktop.

• asap@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

It was for me. Been using Windows for 20 years, installed Aurora after all the MS craziness this year and haven’t looked back.

In my case it’s turned out to be a whole lot better - my laptop runs cooler, battery last about twice as long, and I no longer have any issues with going to sleep when I close the lid.

• ShaunaTheDead@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Current Linux market share worldwide for desktops is at ~4%. There’s also ~2% ChromeOS which is Linux based so I don’t know why it’s listed separately. As well as ~6% other which is probably Linux with privacy settings turned on.

If we go back 5 years in Linux desktop usage, the high end is including the “Other” category.

2019: ~2% to ~9% 2020: ~2.5% to ~5% 2021: ~3.5% to ~11.5% 2022: ~4.5% to ~10.5% 2023: ~6.5% to ~10% 2024: ~6% to ~12%

There is definitely a growing trend, the user base has grown somewhere between 33% and 300% depending on whether you include the “Other” category, which I personally think is a pretty safe assumption since for most PC users if it’s not Windows or Os X, it’s Linux.

Here’s where I got the data from: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

If it helps, desktops outside of enterprise are mostly dead. Sure there are still some among PC gamers, but the average household no longer is likely to have a desktop PC. Laptops, tablets, and smartphones have fully supplanted most of the demand for PCs.