We propose the symbol ⁂ to represent the fediverse.

• Handles@leminal.space
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 days ago

There already is a symbol for the fediverse:

This has existed for years already, is used widely, and IMHO looks way better than this dull attempt. I see no good argument in the campaign website for using this new one instead.

• The Cuuuuube@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

The weak argument they make is this doesn’t look good at small sizes. Personally I don’t think that constitutes a good enough reason to rebrand the fediverse

• Tippon@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

I commented on the last post about this, the three stars are difficult to make out on a small screen, they look like a blurry capital A. On top of that, it’s apparently used in astronomy to represent clusters of stars, like a constellation.

The whole point of this campaign appears to be to replace a unique symbol with one that’s already in use and is hard to read at small sizes 🤷🏻‍♂️

• spaduf@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          17 days ago

On top of that, it’s apparently used in astronomy to represent clusters of stars, like a constellation.

Isn’t that kind of perfect though

• Handles@leminal.space
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        18 days ago

Exactly. A logo isn’t meant to work at 11 point size in the middle of inline text. The typographical argument is nonsense, and I think this proposal is really a reaction to the idiotic “Satanic panic” over the rainbow pentacle.

• The Cuuuuube@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          18 days ago

Yeah which if that’s the argument we’re having… I kinda don’t want to give people that dumb any influence. The fediverse symbol is not a pentagram and if the rainbow giving gay people visibility is somehow wrong, then… Fuck me I guess because I’d rather make gay people comfortable than a bunch of folks who’ve fallen down some manner of christofascist rabbit hole

• uis@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          18 days ago

It is not pentacle, it is 10-colored 5-node complete graph.

For people who didn’t study in school entire life is filled with magic.

• Corgana@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      18 days ago

This logo is really unpopular hence why there is always so much talk of making something cleaner and more professional.

• Handles@leminal.space
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        18 days ago

…and this latest proposal certainly isn’t either of those things.

This logo is really unpopular

Source? I’ve only ever seen a handful of strawman arguments that “I’m not offended by the vague resemblance to a pentagram/use of rainbow colours implying LGBTQ+ support, but somebody might be”, but its fairly wide adoption suggests that most people — myself included — actually like it.

• Corgana@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          18 days ago

This is the first I’m hearing of any issue with it resembling a pentagram, the criticisms I’ve heard involve the design in general not looking professional, not scaling well, and lacking a unique palette.

• Machefi@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 days ago

About the current “pentagram” symbol:

However, its design is a little too complex to be used at small sizes, as you would in text or in a button. It’s also only available in image form, not as a typographical character.

We’ve used it as a tiny icon below posts from other instances and I’ve never found it problematic. I think it’s already too well established to replace just because we can’t type it. Besides, the three stars feel to me not distinct enough. Pushing Unicode Consortium to add it to the standard when the time comes is a batter way.

I do think however that it would be worth coming up with a proper name for the current symbol.

• ChaoticNeutralCzech@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    19 days ago

Note that if supported by the font you use, the three symbols will usually be drawn the same way as an asterisk (*) in that font. This means a lot of variation.

Your browser’s rendering: */⁂

Several typefaces’ rendering of Unicode U+2042 ASTERISM:

I think the diversity is alright! It’s like the Fediverse: instances follow a standard to work with each other but can be heavily customized without breaking integration.

• uis@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

You have rare condition of asterism. You need to check your dinkus.

• maegul (he/they)@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 days ago

I appreciate the argument, but I feel like there’s too much of a chance that we can do better with something in unicode. Or, that this isn’t really good enough. Three asterisks is just too meh, IMO, to catch on.

⁂ … to me right now just looks like a splodge on the screen.

Somewhat unfortunately, the pentagram in the older icon probably can’t really be used without some cartoon-ification, because reasons.

• Gamma@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      19 days ago

This is in unicode though? U+2042

I like it! Distinct but still simple enough that it could be easily stylized. The constellation symbolism works for me.
      Ideally if it were used as an icon it would be slightly larger than the default text on a given page, though I’m not sure how well it fares on those cheap low-res laptops

• Zier@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 days ago

So 3 footnotes? A bunch of snowflakes (which we are not)? Just, NO! Find something unique and original, that’s how branding works.