Out of a reflex of distrust, I refuse to participate in any kind of loyalty program of the outlet of the large retail store around the corner.

I tell myself that by refusing to join the loyalty program (which basically comes down to scanning an anonymous loyalty card every time I make a purchase), I prevent them from adding my correlations (what products I buy, in what combos, at what time) to their data.

But since I normally pay by card, I guess they can (and do) already do that with my bank account information?

If I would pay with cash, they can still see those correlations per purchase, but they can’t track my purchases over time?

• notsofunnycomment@mander.xyzOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 days ago

Does that mean that anonymous loyalty cards don’t really add any extra tracking capabilities?

Then what is the benefit for retailers? That some people don’t use those cards and are thus paying too much?

• pipes@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

Most people give their real full name, phone number and email for any loyalty card wothout batting an eye, plus even with anonymized data it’s useful to the owners to track correlation of purchases, time, location. Definitively what you said too, we all make mistakes (some more than others), every needless complication of a system is a disadvantage to the customer.

• Tangent5280@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

Loyalty cards are more for getting the customer in the door, right? Usage patterns come second if I understand the model correctly.

• Alex@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

Other way around. Loyalty cards have always been about getting that sweet sweet data about customer habits.