Opt out of betas, restart steam! 11GB download, lol.

• LordKitsuna@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

I do own the game but sadly I could just never get into it, I have probably thousands of hours in the factorio but the building just isn’t satisfying ironically enough in satisfactory for me.

Especially in the early game, it takes so much fucking longer to get to Coal Power than it should I am sick and tired of being ripped out of my flow of building the factory by needing to stop and go collect some goddamn leaves manually. Even when i finally get stable power, the unlocks are just tedious annoying uninteresting and everything is constantly trying to pull me out of just focusing on building.

The building itself can get frustrating because uneven terrain and issues with SNAP placement can mean things don’t quite line up perfectly and you have to keep trying again. That’s easily moved past tho it didn’t bother me too much in Dyson Sphere program so I can work past it.

There’s a lot of little things I can complain about but for whatever reason the overall gameplay just did not click with me like it did in other Factory games

• Agent641@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

Satisfactory doesnt tickle the pattern recognition part of my brain the way Factorio does. In Factorio I can make a beautiful, perfectly symmetrical Nuc plant with integrated reprocessing, and a perfectly opimized red circuit build just ripping along with full speed modules and beacons. I can really visualize the perfect layout far better than in Satisfactory. In the latter, I found exploring the worl more interesting than building the factory.

• reddfugee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 days ago

I feel all of this so hard lol. I have 3000+ hours in Factorio and still clocked over 1000 across my four Satisfactory saves. The early game and mid is soooo frustrating that it takes me ages to grind through, but the movement, aesthetics, and being able to crawl around my builds like a hamster keep me coming back.

1.0 has some sweet-looking improvements that’ll help all this (Dimensional Depots), but they’re gated behind such late-game tech that I fear I’ll either burn out before I get to them or have nothing left to do with them once they’re unlocked.

Space Age will probably be out before I get there though, so there might be some mods available to help with that by the time I need them

• LordKitsuna@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

To their credit there is a sandbox mode. You can just say fuck upgrades amd start at whatever tier you want and just build

• Metalemming@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 days ago

Spent the last 2 nights building a factory around a resource node, and they just randomly removed it. Not particularly pleased with the update so far

• Litany@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 days ago

They’ve been saying nodes could change and have been recommending a fresh start with 1.0 for months.

It sucks your new factory didn’t work out, but this is what happens when you’re playing an (formerly) early access game and you don’t pay attention to patch notes.

• PlantJam@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

Just bought it, going in blind. Can’t wait to waste hundreds of hours on this like I did in factorio!

• orbitz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

I bought it a few years back but never got that far into it but have seen some YouTube plays of it at the time so I’m curious what’s new. I spent like 400 hours in factorio before bothering to launch a rocket so need fewer games going before starting one of these types. Hopefully Captain of Industry isn’t planning a full release anytime soon.

• Opisek@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 days ago

I’m 300 hours into factorio without launching a rocket. The factory must grow and I want to see full belts of every item in the game. I also bought satisfactory way back and had a lot of fun with it for like 70 hours but then just stopped. A few days ago I had just started it back up and made a new world. Now I hear the announcement about 1.0. Maybe it’s worth revisiting. I like the build system in satisfactory (in particular the conveyor belts) in comparison to factorio, but early game is very grindy with the biomass generators and all.

• reddfugee@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

Belt-fed Biomass Generators and automating Solid Biofuel from wood & leaves really helps with the initial power grind, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with that part of 1.0. I fed the system ~250 wood and the leaves that came with it, and not only found 25 tickets in my Awesome Sink the next morning (sinking half my Concrete production), but the power grid was still up and had ~20min of run time left!

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 days ago

Yeah, I’ve had it for years and never got super far (well beyond the beginning, but not to the really late stuff). It never clicked for me like Factorio has. Satisfactory is a factory game, but I’d say the biggest thing is it’s an architecture game first. The factory is the reason to build cool buildings, but building is the primary focus of the game. If you don’t like that then you won’t enjoy it probably.

I can definitely see the appeal of the game, and I’ve gotten enjoyment out of it. The biggest hurdle for me personally is how long it takes to make things. In Factorio even early game I can plop down stuff from the overhead view very quickly and get something running. Then once you have bots you can just set down a blueprint and it’ll be done in a few seconds. Satisfactory you can’t do this. Even the blueprints are pretty small and can’t have connections automatically link between them, so it’ll always be slower. I just wish the process of building was streamlined, because I love factory games and I like the concept of the game. I just can’t actually enjoy playing it for long.

• Hugin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 days ago

Yeah I love Factorio. Satisfactory gets tedious to build and never semes to have any interesting design meta.

• CarbonatedPastaSauce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

Woohoo! I thought it wasn’t releasing until this afternoon. Just finished update and I’m going in.

So long planet Earth, I’ll be away for a few weeks!

• djsoren19@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 days ago

Oh shit, I went in on this game ages ago back when it first went into early access. I’ve been feeling some real gaming ennui lately, guess I’ll have to figure out the Epic Games Store long enough to give my life to a factory.

• verdigris@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 days ago

Non-trivial development costs for a niche market. The website has said there’s no mac version planned for a year or more. Most games don’t bother with mac releases and that trend will only increase now that Apple is firmly decoupling from the PC hardware ecosystem.

• drkt@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 days ago

If you buy it on Steam, you’d be able to play it through Proton. I assume Proton is available on Macs, but I don’t actually know; please check and don’t hold me accountable.

• CatLikeLemming@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 days ago

Apple did take Wine (well, CrossOver, but that’s wine-based), adapted it for Macs, didn’t create a merge request for a single line of code, and ended up only advertising the new tool as a demo for how well games run on their hardware to incentivize ports, with no intent of using it as a compatibility layer for players.