fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

false equivalency intensifies

Some things that are bad are worse than other things that are bad.

If that’s your rubrik

Fuck everything that came after that pretentious sentence starter. I’m not going to humor your dubiously-motivated sophistry.

EDIT:

then whatever your opinion of Johns is, it should consistently be applied to anyone who ever buys any product or uses any service

With that bewilderingly bad false equivalency, you sound like you may be trying to banish a guilty conscience, or if you lack even that, you may be trying to vindicate what you’ve already paid for regarding economically coerced company. kombucha-disgust

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Believe that if you want, but “buying breakfast at the cafe down the road is exactly as exploitative as soliciting (possibly) trafficked people for sex in the Phillipines” is a horrible take and the pretentious Reddity format it was presented in did not seem good faith to me.

• Surface_Detail@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Guy who refuses to answer the first question asked continues to deflect because he knows there’s no logical position he can take that isn’t ‘I don’t like sex workers’.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Guy who refuses to answer the first question

Your “question” was garbage to begin with because you’re seriously arguing that all work is only equally harmful and exploitative.

no logical position

I don’t see why you need to stan so hard for unregulated sexpat adventures when you’re doing a fine job masturbating right there.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

You deflected first by invoking economic coercion. Unless it’s your firm belief that there are zero people who would knowingly choose to fuck for money over taking a menial job.

Get better talking points than these sad little ad hominems, they aren’t helping you.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

You deflected first

That doesn’t matter to me whatsoever. You sound like a creepy sexpat using false equivalencies to vindicate your little hobby.

they aren’t helping you

Don’t say stupid shit like “all work is equally as exploitative.”

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Never said they were equally exploitative, just that we all suffer from some level of economic coercion.

What you are doing is what’s called strawmanning. It’s where you reframe an argument you are unable to counter to a slightly different one that you are able to counter.

I’d say it’s beneath you, but it honestly doesn’t seem to be.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

Indeed I did. I’ll own up to that mistake.

The rest is projection, I’m afraid. Your should probably spend some time in reflection, but you’re not going to.

Get whatever jibe is left in you out of your system and be on your way.

• GarbageShoot [he/him]@hexbear.net
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    11 months ago

Get whatever jibe is left in you out of your system

If you got into the habit of doing this before you went outside, you probably wouldn’t find yourself compelled to defend such a shitty position.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    11 months ago

I’m afraid. Your should probably spend some time in reflection

Get whatever jibe is left in you out of your system

You are such an incredibly pretentious creep as well as a liar.

• GarbageShoot [he/him]@hexbear.net
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

Never said they were equally exploitative, just that we all suffer from some level of economic coercion.

You very strongly implied otherwise:

whatever your opinion of Johns is, it should consistently be applied to anyone who ever buys any product or uses any service.

If we play devil’s advocate, the strictest denotation of what you are saying allows for the interpretation that one should consider exploitation in all cases, but you are very clearly implying that there is a comparable magnitude. I don’t “apply my opinion of” John Wayne Gacy to someone was convicted of a sexual assault charge, because both people are sex criminals (and should be condemned) but the cases are clearly not comparable beyond a statement as generic as that.

Likewise, I don’t “apply my opinion of Johns” to someone who bought a bundle of bananas at a grocery store because both people “contributed in some manner to exploitation” but the scale is not remotely similar and also the latter person still needs to eat!

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

Never said they were equally exploitative

If that’s your rubrik, then whatever your opinion of Johns is, it should consistently be applied to anyone who ever buys any product or uses any service.

You’re a liar and a creep.