• TropicalDingdong@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I played this game through.

I really wish it would have just been ‘being a stray’ as opposed to saving an alien world. Petty theft. Grooming. Fights over territory. You know, cat stuff.

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyzOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Alien?

The companions were left by humans, the city or whatever was a bunker against some cataclysm or other, that never got opened again. I liked the robots. There could have been more cat stuff, but personally I think I would have gotten bored without a bit of lore and some characters to engage me.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

The companions were left by humans, the city or whatever was a bunker against some cataclysm or other, that never got opened again. I liked the robots. There could have been more cat stuff, but personally I think I would have gotten bored without a bit of lore and some characters to engage me.

I could have been the robot and they could have been cats. They could have been aliens. Or other people. It didn’t matter because it was purely superficial. There was no meaning behind them being robots or aliens or whatever or me being a cat or an alien or whatever, because it had no bearing on the game whatsoever. It was a very trope-ish and predictable story where the interesting elements (read: me being a friggen cat), were basically completely absent from them game.

It really wasn’t a very well written game. Its such a cool concept: an open world game where you play as a stray cat. And they did basically nothing with it. Felt like the game was designed by a committee. I still finished it but it will get 0 replay from me.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Ok. So you wanted a literal “cat simulator”.

But I feel like your gripes about the quality of the game have a lot more to do with your disappointment of not having your expectations met, rather than the game genuinely coming short in what it tried to do.

It succeeds in being a good game, it just doesn’t succeed at being the cat game you wanted.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

The game is called stray and you being a cat is practically irrelevant to the entire material concept of the game in terms of game play, strategy, and execution.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

So what? Is there are a law requiring the titles of things have to be strictly literal?

By that logic, the game doesn’t even have to be about a cat.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 year ago

So what? Is there are a law requiring the titles of things have to be strictly literal?

No, but just because something exists doesn’t mean its objectively or subjectively good.

The game warrants criticism. It had a cool concept and good art, but it was wasted on a poorly written game. It had great potential and it fell very very flat. Stick it on the shelf with the rest of them.

If you don’t have the taste to be able to distinguish quality from cruft, that’s on you. And just because something gets a following, that doesn’t make it good.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 year ago

You realise you’re accusing the mod a of a community solely devoted to appreciating the artistic merit of video games, of not having “good taste”? I don’t think there is such a thing as “bad taste” when it comes liking things, but you can definitely “act” in bad taste in how you respond to those other people liking things.

A thing is subjectively good, as long as at least one person enjoys it, and vice versa. As for objectively, that’s a whole philosophical debate onto itself, but one which it is not necessary to actually engage in to determine whether criticising something has merit. It does. Its even possible to be objectively critical of something which one subjectively likes.

However, even then presenting that criticism as if it is objective, is just plain dumb.

It had a cool concept and good art, but it was wasted on a poorly written game. It had great potential and it fell very very flat. Stick it on the shelf with the rest of them.

That’s like, your opinion, man. But you’re “constructive” criticism of the game has more to do with what you expected and wanted from the game than its actual shortcomings. Which it does have, many. Calling something a waste, when clearly it was enjoyed by many, is just factually incorrect. An emotionally coloured statement that really just translates to “I personally wanted more”.

I would not have wanted to play the game you claim Stray should have been, which means you’re not selling something, I at least, want to buy. I don’t think the game was badly written. I don’t think it needed to do more than it did. But I agree it could have.

Also. Cliche is not automatically bad. Expectations do not need to be subverted to provide entertainment. New ground does not need to mapped for a world to be worth one’s time. Nothing you’ve said objectively means the game is of “low quality”.

If you don’t have the taste to be able to distinguish quality from cruft, that’s on you. And just because something gets a following, that doesn’t make it good.

Duh. And I’m really close to issuing my first ban just to test it out, with that Karen level passive aggression you’re displaying.