If someone comments saying their actual current job, please be kind and thank them in a reply.

• Cringe2793@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Software engineers/developers. They come up with software that everyone uses daily. But they work in shitty conditions, get kinda low pay, and because they’re not as visible as writers and actors, are not able to hold a strike for kickbacks when their software is used or is still in use.

They basically built the modern world, but are exploited so that the ones who own the company get rich off their backs.

• AggressivelyPassive@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

What? Developers are definitely not underpaid, I earn more than twice what a social worker gets after taxes.

Invisible is also very dubious, if I tell people I’m a developer, everyone assumes I’m a rich genius who’s building cool stuff.

The true heroes of our industry are the admins. If they’re doing everything right, nobody notices they exist, but if they do only a single thing wrong or some software has a bug they aren’t even responsible for, they’ll get the blame first.

• Cringe2793@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Where do you live? I live in Singapore and am definitely underpaid. Companies hire the cheaper workers from other Asian countries.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

In the US developers, especially those that move into management can make a small fortune. Starting salaries are around where many careers peak with a comfortable living salary and the sky is the limit on how much a dev can make