link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Dynamically typed/interpreted language?

Python Yup that checks out.

I’ve never understood why so many languages insist on a feature that causes such a obtuse and tedious programming experience.

Python is great, until you don’t remember a function call, and can’t guess using your LSP to tell you. :/

• DWin@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Time to delivery is important. Moving quickly withing a language and frameworks that prioritise speed over safety gets a product out the door is important when testing whether a business idea holds merit. Once you’re established with a better scope of the project you should be rewriting this in a static language.

Dynamically typed interpreted languages should never be used for long term support imo

• traches@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Idunno, Ruby was my first language and the other day I was trying to write a one-file script to wrangle some CSV data and even that got irritating. What does this function need? What does it return? Who the fuck knows! Is it even a function? Run it and find out, loser

And I’ve got reasonably popular projects in ruby, I’m not a beginner.

• MajorHavoc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Once you’re established with a better scope of the project you should be rewriting this in a static language.

Or bolt MyPy to it, right? concerned Padme meme

Edit: Wow. Somebody out there has no sense of humor about their bolt-on type solution.