One of the main things I seem to notice on the Fediverse is that we don’t have enough active users when it comes to answering questions as well as commenting.

#fediverse

• Curious Canid@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It varies widely from one community to another, but Lemmy is certainly much smaller than reddit. I think that some communities have hit the tipping point where there are enough people to keep things going. The smaller communities are still working at that, but they still provide useful information and good company. Lemmy is growing so I expect the situation to improve over time.

Personally I haven’t run into the kind of hostility that some people are reporting. It’s sad that it’s out there, but be aware that it is not the universal Lemmy experience. I suspect it depends heavily on what communities you frequent and what instance you are on. Eventually I expect the toxic areas to implode, or just drift away into isolation, as they are replaced by similar communities with better members and better moderation.

• Haywire@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Answering questions and commenting get you a barrage of downvotes if you deviate from the hive. Asking questions gets you a barage of downvotes. There are a bunch of angry abusive people here that discourage any discussion or debate.

• Cynber@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s a problem everywhere, but I’ve found that people are a lot better on here about downvotes?

On Reddit I’d see comments and questions with no replies and only downvotes. Here you’re a lot more likely to see responses

• spacecowboy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Does it bother you to get downvotes? They’re just numbers on a website, they don’t really mean squat. Say your piece. Ignore the numbers.

• SamXavia@kbin.socialOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

@spacecowboy Yeah they are just numbers on a screen, I know when I go to comments if a comment has more upvotes than down I know it is most likely a good source / answer compared to the ones with hundreds of downvotes.

@Haywire

• spacecowboy@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I try not to focus on them at all because it gives you a preconceived opinion on the comment. That doesn’t seem very helpful in a discussion based community.

• SamXavia@kbin.socialOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

That’s fair enough, especially if the Fediverse grow to the point of Social Media becoming non-existent (Other Than as a Social Network such as the Fediverse is)

• Spzi@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There’s really not much we can do about it?

Let’s just hope it is a function of size and that we’re still growing.