What are some things that you enjoy or dislike about the Fediverse so far.

• Ashtear@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I think I just realized after reading this thread that I’ve posted more threads on here since I started a few months ago than in all my time on Reddit. Part of that is genuinely missing the niche communities I liked there and helping to build ones for people with similar interests here (and I’m finding new ones in the process).

Another part is my long-standing interest in decentralization in general. Ruthless efficiency has centralized everything, from where I shop to where I hang out. There’s something civic lost in that somewhere. Things don’t have to be as efficient as possible, and good jobs and honest opportunities for socializing are created when it’s not all striving to place offerings at the altar of stock dividends. It’s why I don’t mind seeing the duplicate communities on the Fediverse. The sociologist in me is fascinated to see how it all shakes out in a place where the forces shaping these things aren’t all sociopathic.

That said, I do wish development was more active. I imagine there’s some hesitancy for users to literally buy in, but they really do need more funding for developers.

• Blaze@discuss.tchncs.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

That said, I do wish development was more active. I imagine there’s some hesitancy for users to literally buy in, but they really do need more funding for developers.

Mbin has been getting some traction lately, as a community-supported fork of Kbin (which was handled by a single person): https://github.com/MbinOrg

This seems promising. Lemmy can also be developed of course, but Rust seems a more niche language than PHP

• SamXavia@kbin.runOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

@Blaze @Ashtear Yes Mbin has been great for me, It works faster and more reliable than Kbin has been lately as well as the community actually listens when you put a bug report or feature request on there github.

• Ashtear@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

This is good to hear. I started my Fediverse journey on kbin but eventually moved over because the spam was out of control. Hopefully this makes it easier on mods.

• SamXavia@kbin.runOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

@Ashtear Yeah the only way the smaller communities that we miss from places like Reddit to move across would be to start posting relevant content on the Fediverse in there own community and eventually there will just as much or more useful content on the Fediverse as there is on Reddit, and maybe people from smaller communities will move across growing the Fediverse further.