• arc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Isn’t he basically screwed for the rest of his life though? Having to pay some of his wage to Nintendo

• 404CameranotFound@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Most of his wage. 14.5 million docked from his paychecks for the rest of his life. There’s not much more info in how much will be docked from his pay, as in a percentage or flat cost

Edit: I read more into it. It’s 25-30% of his paycheck goes to Nintendo.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/04/bowser-free-from-prison-still-owes-nintendo-14-5m-for-switch-hacking/ See at the bottom

He will die owing Nintendo tens of millions of dollars. Fuck Nintendo

• RolandTheJabberwocky@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I mean it sucks but whats the alternative? Life in jail? He did those things and did cost them 65 million, I’m never one to defend corporations but he is a criminal and deserves some kind of punishment.

• jtk@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

He didn’t cost them 65 million. That’s a pretend number made up by soulless lawyers. If people could actually do that much “damage” to corporations, we wouldn’t be so beholden to their whims.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

For an example, I used an emulator to play try Pokémon Arseus (however that’s spelled). I had very little desire to play it in general, but I did want to see what they did with it. It was garbage. I never would have purchased it, especially since I would have had to purchase a Switch too. Did that “cost them money?” Absolutely not. They likely include that in the supposed cost though.