• 0 Posts
  • 36 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 7th, 2023

help-circle

• No, it’s less grippy in the rain. The rougher road is far more practical and safer for vehicles, especially ones with only two wheels.

I’m not sure about that, although, I don’t know what specific road surface they use in Seoul.

Anecdotally, when we get new bike paths, it looks like that and the fresh asphalt used provides a lot of traction!

Once it gets worn from cars, it becomes slippery, especially once you add in oils from motor vehicles.

But the asphalt itself is not going to be slippery when it’s in good condition and not riddles with potholes.

My comment is also a compliment to the fact there are no potholes, “snakes”, oil marks, or anything in the roads shown in the photo. Impressive.

• Most cameras now though are forward facing so take a photo of the driver too. You can’t get out of that!

I don’t recall if her ticket(s) showed the front, but I think it would still be a challenge for the courts to prove the ID of the driver.

To be fair, the owner should know who’s driving at that time and they need to be on the insurance.

For sure. This still applies.

But what I’m saying is that let’s say you have a single family car for you, your spouse, and two teenagers. If anyone in your family is driving that car and gets an automated speeding ticket, you (the owner of the car) would get the ticket. There’s no deterrent effect for the actual driver.

In this sense, being pulled over by an actual police officer is likely to have more of an impact than these cameras. However, good luck generating nearly a fraction of the revenue using street cops. That’s where automated cameras really shine.

• In the UK we have a points system and if you get enough points you lose your licence and have to reapply.

We have this in Canada, too, but it’s a totally broken system.

As an example, you’d need to flee the scene of an accident (hit and run) and not stop for an officer who is flagging you down to earn enough demerit point to get a warning letter. Seriously. Exceeding the speed limit by 50km/h will also get you a letter.

But here’s the catch: automated traffic enforcement doesn’t punish the driver - at all. Not insurance impact or anything. It only penalizes the person who owns the car through a fine. This is likely another reason why it doesn’t change behaviour, especially when it doesn’t impact insurance rates.

A person being pulled over for speeding by an officer will more than likely have their premiums go up as a result.

• The problem with issuing automatic tickets is that they don’t really change behaviours in drivers who don’t care anyway.

I received my first and only speeding ticket over 20 years ago, but having to waste half a day going to a downtown court was more than enough to have me driving like a grandma ever since.

But someone like my wife, who’s received multiple automated tickets, simply isn’t inconvenienced by it. I pay the ticket, and she drives as she always has.

If these automated enforcement cameras resulted in drivers having to take a course for a few weekends, or lose their car for a week, it might annoy them enough to stop the behaviour. And the penalties should increase if someone continues to break the law.

But… additional revenue is always good, assuming it’s going to programs to improve road safety or to build out active transportation infrastructure :)

• I guess the context in which this is applied to makes the difference.

In my home, I’m fine with keeping inventory when it makes sense.

Non perishable food, for example, has it’s own happy place in a corner of my home that wouldn’t otherwise be utilized. Stocking up on this inventory has demonstrably saved a lot of money vs. buying when needed.

During covid, my stockpiling years before allowed me to essentially not run out of anything or pay a premium on things that were either not available or overpriced during the first year of the pandemic.

Keeping a stockpile also means that I’m not wasting time, gas, energy, or money running out multiple times a week to pick up necessities. I just take from my inventory, which would be at a lower price than the current price, and I move on with my day.

If I had to only buy certain things when needed, I estimate that I’d likely be overspending by at least 30% + whatever time and transportation costs to make those errand runs.