help-circle

• mean_bean279@lemmy.worldtoMemes@lemmy.mlI remember, assholes
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Yup, it’s part of why the idea of rescuing them was never going to happen either. There’s only something like 3 subs in the world that can dive to that depth and they weren’t close enough nor built for rescue missions. Even if they were alive they only had 3 days worth of oxygen. Honestly they’re lucky that the “sub” just imploded rather than dealing with the slow loss of oxygen.

• I’ll always repeat this to everyone as my go to.

For starters don’t count yourself out. If it says college degree or cert required and you don’t have it, apply anyways. I ignore them every time and 99% of the time I get an interview.

For resumes/CVs make sure to copy and paste some of the language they use in the job description or post. Try to blend it into things you have done or the hobbies you do.

Don’t forget to also use references that are actually pertinent to the job. Your previous boss is a good one, but so are people who work in that field that can vouch for you. Don’t be afraid to actually ask people you know and name drop where you can.

Interviewing is a skill. Take notes, take time to answer questions, drink some water. Acknowledge interviewers and their questions and always try to stay on track of their question. Sometimes I have stories for my answers and at the end I like to bring it back by repeating the question and then explaining how that story answered it.

Lastly be reliable and helpful at your job. People don’t care if you don’t answer work calls or texts after hours, but they do care if you take initiative to help and ask occasionally if there’s something you can do to help. Don’t over work yourself, and remember to shit on company time, but do try to make an impact on key people so you can keep crawling up this shitty capitalist ladder.

Also, checkout Etsy for some good Google doc templates. I paid like 99 cents for a great resume and CV template that looks way better than I could have done in a few hours. I keep my resume, reference letters, any important job docs, and a spreadsheet of references in a Google drive folder (OneDrive, Dropbox, other cloud services work too obviously).

• mean_bean279@lemmy.worldtoMemes@lemmy.mlI remember, assholes
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago
    • The US military heard it and didn’t necessarily want to give away capability of listening devices around the sea floor.

• The sub was difficult to get to the debris field because it was at an incredibly deep section that few craft are capable of reaching safely.

It was frustrating they made a big deal about something we ultimately could have done nothing about in the first place. However it’s not like the whole “hearing the implosion” thing was something the military wanted to give away and at that depth we have to be careful. Don’t forget we’ve put more people into space than have been to the deepest point on the planet.

• People always said the same thing on Reddit too, but there’s a lot of stuff that “adds to a conversation” that needs to be downvoted. Just because something “adds to a conversation” doesn’t mean that the people shouldn’t express that it’s an awful comment or viewpoint by downvoting.

For instance, on a history article about Nazis someone could say “well some were bad, but not all were. Plus the good they did around the world was actually a lot better than people give them credit for like introducing a universal basic income or providing their citizens with jobs and healthcare for all.”

Like… it’s a viewpoint… but by not downvoting that viewpoint you’re basically allowing someone to say Nazis aren’t bad. Which to me is why the downvote button is there in the first place. Good, well thought out comments that add to a conversation should be upvoted, but awful comments should be downvoted too. People just need to be more well intentioned about when they’re downvoting a viewpoint they disagree with.

• It’s generating content and clicks. Which is INCREDIBLY important for a social media. The content doesn’t have to be good, and obviously Lemmy isn’t the same as Reddit or other social media in terms of value of upvotes, or algorithms. However it’s important for USERS to see content that’s fresh hitting the front page. Even if it’s the same topic and shitposting. This helps attract other creators which in turn brings more users. It’s the shit circle of (social) life.