• 2 Posts
  • 21 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 16th, 2023

help-circle

• I am really sorry i pissed you all of, i just recently switched on a whim while i was gething super into being a windows poweruser and i swear i have nothing but love <3 i saw a really cool hyper-land interface, it was fast, beuatifull. i dig that. I installed it and i except for work i only used windows as a virtual dekstop 3 times in the month i am doing it.

• Well there are 2 things.

First there is speed for which they do indeed rely on multiple thousands of super high end industrial Nvidia gpus. And since the 10Billion investment from microsoft they likely expanded that capacity. I’ve read somewhere that chatgpt costs about 700,000 a day to keep running.

There are a few others tricks and caveats here though. Like decreasing the quality of the output when there is high load.

For that quality of output they do deserve a lot of credit cause they train the models really well and continuously manage to improve their systems to create even higher qualitive and creative outputs.

I dont think gpt4 is the biggest model that is out there but it does appear to be the best that is available.

I can run a small llm at home that is much much faster then chatgpt… that is if i want to generate some unintelligent nonsense.

Likewise there might be a way to redesign gpt-4 to run on consumer graphics card with high quality output… if you don’t mind waiting a week for a single character to be generated.

I actually think some of the open sourced local runnable llms like llama, vicuna and orca are much more impressive if you judge them on quality vs power requirement.

• As a lemmy user i can click your name and scroll trough a list of all posts and comments you have made. Thats your data and its currently free for the taking to any corporation.

Eventually instances may develop ways to protect their users from this for example make posts only visible to verified human members that are members of a community. Now imagine a user joining such community from the meta threads apps. It wouldn’t be beneath them to fulltime record the app screen and ocr all the text the user sees.

• Pros: millions of users can interact with your instance

Cons: This is a super blatant attempt to consume all data. They have been doing this for years. “Log in with facebook” They see the value of the fediverse and aim to become the mainstream place for new accounts. Those users can then interact with any kind off community they want. Meta is not responsible for content on other instances. But they are harvesting all of it trough millions of clueless spies.

• webghost0101@lemmy.fmhy.mltoMemes@lemmy.mlThey'll still be cute tomorrow
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

In the warmth of last autumn’s embrace, my Reddit account locked in its place.“I’ve argued too much,” I sighed, wearied by battles of digital pride.My wife, her patience thinned, her annoyance kindled like leaves in the wind.In my ear, a constant lament, “Finish your comment, our time’s better spent.”

An unbound screen, my tethered desire, the silence it gave, quenched my heart’s fire.Lurking in shadows, seeking no fame, I found happiness in not playing the game.Less was the time on my phone, more was the peace in our home.

Yet a beacon called, by the name of Lemmy, a new realm in which to spend my penny.Arguing, scarce; engagements, light; but shadows cast in my wife’s sight.My son on his throne, a royal training, my focus faltered, my duty waning.

From her eyes, shifty looks, I received, as if my carelessness, she grieved.My attention lured by the screen’s allure, family moments passing, unsure.A reminder, harsh yet kind, about what’s truly behind the grind.

To balance love, and pixel’s call, a task set out for us all.So I ponder on this digital dance, giving life’s moments more than a glance.In the search for likes and upvotes won, let’s not forget the real-world fun.

================================

This poem was created by gpt 4 based on this true story:

My reddit account got soft locked last fall, i never fixed it because i was spending too much time arguing and my wife was getting annoyed waiting because “i gotta finish this comment” All was fine after, i spend less time on my phone. And just felt a little happier just lurking. Now on Lemmy I haven’t had to really argue with anyone yet, but i have seen some shifty looks from my wife as i was paying more attention to my phone than my son during potty training.

• This week a ship with immigrants sank by the greek coast. Hundreds of people are missing and likely dead, no one send help. There are children starving in poverty around the clock while we technically do produce enough food in the world to end world hunger (most ends in the trash) the logistics are deemed too expensive. Of course we should recognize that the submarine passengers are people and the loss of life is always tragic but the millions of spend capital, resources and media attention saving specifically those 5 is a bitter reminder of the cruelty of our world. This is the internet, we are allowed a laugh, even if its dark sometimes.