Is it possible to view other instance’s frontpages from within an instance? Or, is that something where you just have to go directly to that other instance, and then if you find something interesting, you then navigate to that community via lemm.ee/c/comm@instance and then find the post?

(I discovered yesterday post IDs are instance-specific so if there’s an easy way to go directly to a post you found while not inside lemm.ee that would be useful info too)

• sunaurus@lemm.eeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There’s no way to view another instances front page directly from lemm.ee, but have you tried the “all” tab on the lemm.ee front page? That will show posts from all communities that lemm.ee knows about, and since we by this point should be hooked up to all the most popular communities anyway, then in theory our “all” shouldn’t differ too much from any other instance.

• sexy_peach@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You can always search for an address like https://lemmy.ml/c/memes on your server and your server will check if there’s a community there.

Otherwise you can browse the ALL tab on the start page of your server, where all the communities are shown from your server and others, that someone on your server has joined.

• InfiniteLoop@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, I know how to force-federation of an existing community – more what I was looking for was a feed of stuff I wouldn’t think I’m interested in but that others are – I get this better from frontpages than a list of communities since it shows actual content.

When I’ve exhausted lemm.ee’s frontpage I usually check lemmy.one’s or beehaw’s and was just wondering if there’s another way to do that.

Thanks tho – I’m sure your tip will be useful to others!

• sexy_peach@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh sorry :)

You could browse https://browse.feddit.de/ and check for interesting communities. But that’s basically a community list as well :/

I guess if you browse the ALL feed of lemmy.ml you won’t miss anything anyways, since most likely someone there is following every existing lemmy sub ^^

• Trekman10@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yeah I could really use that too. It’s ironic I have an easier time pulling up specific posts by just putting the url into mastodon/tusky but not within Lemmy.