• CrypticCoffee@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Interesting project and good luck on this.

Did you not consider something like Codeberg to host this? Many open source devs do not trust MS or their stewardship of Github, and considering the aim of this project is against American control of information, surely this really needs serious consideration.

Many open source devs do not want to use Github at all now.

• nutomic@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

That is true but most developers are still on Github, which hasn’t been affected by enshittification yet. I also have to keep using Github because of Lemmy, so I don’t want to switch back and forth between two separate platforms.

However once Gitea starts federation we definitely want to migrate Lemmy to a selfhosted instance, and probably Ibis too.

• CrypticCoffee@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

They sunset Atom to push VS code despite assurances they wouldn’t.

Co-pilot slurping open source code and spitting out code without license attribution. One example of this was when it spat out Quake 2 code and comment verbatim.

Enshittification started, you just ain’t ready to see it yet. MS has a track record and will continue.

2 git hosts is just 2 tabs and by the time federation happens, you’ve already got vendor lock in because of all the issues. I doubt migration of those will be straightforward.