• Generic_Handel@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

The paranoia is starting to ramp up, now with drones and missiles hitting inside Russia.

My guess is they will crack down hard on anyone trying to talk about the actual reality of what’s going on vs the party line.

• Thorny_Thicket@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

What are you basing this on? At the start of the war he was challenging Putin for a MMA match and he lets Ukrainians use Starlink. Am I missing something?

• Goathound@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Starlink has already cut access to front line Ukrainians before, forcing them to hold off on advancing due to lack of communication.

Starlink has benefitted immensely from the war, so it’s not a purely humanitarian desire to help Ukrainians. Free publicity and a guaranteed market share when only a handful of people ever even heard of Starlink is what they were after, IMO.

• Thorny_Thicket@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

This still leaves my question unaswered. What has he done to indicate that he’s pro-Putin? I’m genuinely asking.

• prosp3kt@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Piracy is allowed there anyway since the war the will not punish it, they even promote it with an emergent law

• Lettuce eat lettuce@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

A classic move by authoritarian tyrants, suppress the spread of information, outlaw the free exchange of ideas.

This is why Tor and other privacy preserving technology is so important. People’s lives and wellbeing depend on them. We must not forget there are people in this world who are being harassed, tortured, and killed because they dare to question their government, dare to criticize their leaders, dare to think for themselves.

“While the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power.” -V for Vendetta

• mcgravier@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Actually this isn’t much different from extreme control over financial transactions in civilzed parts of the world. Rather it’s just natural extension of that control, which is scary

• tryptaminev 🇵🇸 🇺🇦 🇪🇺@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

But you see, it is only bad if it is done by authoritarian regimes, but we are states of law and democracy, so there is nothing bad about it. And we are states of law because trust me bro

-European conservatives and “social democrats”

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The UK conservatives aren’t even trying to hide it anymore. They have now just gone full on dictatorship energy.

Fortunately they are a bunch of incompetents who fight amongst themselves like a sack of cats. Otherwise they might actually represent threat.

• JeffCraig@citizensgaming.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Man, this makes me rethink my whole idea of online anonymity.

There’s a lot of reasons why requiring identity verification could be a good thing, but holy shit now I realize how quickly something like that could slip into authoritarianism.

I still think we need a identity verification service for things like online games and social media (to thwart ban evasion), but it has to be something decentralized.

• mcgravier@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It doesn’t have to be decentralized, it has to be anonymous. You want to have an online identity in the number of one per citizen, but not tied to the real identities.

There’s a way to do this by using regular digital ID and anonymizing it with zero-knowledge cryptography, but AFAIK noone tried this yet

• Jeena@jemmy.jeena.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

In einem Authoritaeren Staat ist das die einzige Moeglichkeit Herr der dinge zu werden, sieht man ja auch in China.

• BrooklynMan@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

“The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.”

— Princess Leia Organa

• roofuskit@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

If you watch Andor, this is exactly what one of the lead characters Luthen is trying to accomplish. He’s afraid that if the Empire tightens too slowly that by the time people are upset with the changes it will be too late. So he wants the rebellion to very loudly and publicly attack the Empire to force them to tighten their grip faster which inspires more rebellion.

• BrooklynMan@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s why he’s so keen to get Saw Gurrera on board. He knows he’s a provocateur and and extremist that will absolutely get the Empire’s jimmies rustled. Not to mention the whole stealing a quadrant’s-worth of payroll.